quanta q

Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Cramming

I don't really believe in cramming for a final but in the end that is the situation in which I find myself. Why am I doing this? Unfortunately, I happened to be in the hospital for part of Pesach and while someone mentioned to me that some kind of disaster follows him every Pesach I fear that the disaster struck me this year. Thank goodness I am feeling better but here are the lessons I learned while being the hospital:

1. You need a patient advocate. Someone to get the nurse, make sure the results are given to you, and listen as you are getting instructions for the doctor in case you may have further questions.

In my case my PA was my father. He is a doctor at the hospital I went to (which is why I chose that
particular hospital) and so I think he had a lot of "pull" and connections and all that jazz which made my life much easier. Perhaps it is unfair that doctors relate to doctors differently that regular people but I am happy that at least I was able to take advantage of the situtaion. Interestingly enough, my bed was on the floor where psychiatric patients are admitted as well. My father being a psychiatrist knew many of the nurses and doctors on this floor so I had to make sure I was a good patient and the doctors and nurses took care of me because I was Dr. Q's daughter. Funny thing: one of the nurses when I was first admitted thought I needed a psych consult because my dad has asked for my chart :). I think by the third day I was going crazy so that I actually may have truly needed one.

2. Hospitals are not places for healthy people-only people who are sick or having a baby.

3. It's amazing how many different places you can by stuck by the phlebotomists.

4. Ask your local orthodox rabbi before you are in the hospital for what you can really do on yom tov/shabbos.

5. Ice chips are delicous when you haven't eaten in two days.

6. Visitors and phone calls really make you happy.

7. Why does everyone come to check your vitals, take blood, ask you questions when it's 7:00am and then you can go for hours without seeing anyone? Haven't they heard of the concept of sleeping in?

Ok, I know that most of you may know all these things, but this is what I came out with after this experience.

Now it's back to studying because I got nothing accomplished over Pesach.

Cramming is silly. I will remember none of this on Thursday.